OPET recognizes that the nature of our activities may give rise to major accident scenarios and we are committed to achieve high standards of controls to reduce the risks to personnel, contractors, visitors, neighbours and the environment to as low as reasonably practicable. We believe that accidents can be prevented by implementing the elements of the Safety Management System (SMS) with continuous improvement.
In pursuit of our commitments, everyone in OPET’s facilities is accountable and empowered to manage process safety, protect health of the worker and the environment. We shall embrace these principles in our Safety Management System (SMS):
- Providing a strong and an effective leadership in process safety to ensure a sound process safety culture,
- Identifying major accident scenarios and assessing credible accident scenarios that would arise from routine and non-routine operations and updating them as needed,
- Defining the roles and responsibilities of individuals clearly, thereby determining the training requirements and providing the training to fulfill the roles related to Major Accident Prevention and Control throughout the organization,
- Implementing the rules and procedures covering the operational controls and safe working practices, and updating them as needed,
- Reviewing the management of change element before performing each operation and in so doing, achieving high standards of controls in the affected assets and reducing the risks to as low as reasonably practicable,
- Identifying emergency situations in advance with a systematic approach, establishing and maintaining emergency plans for these emergencies and reviewing them regularly,
- Monitoring the performance of the management system to achieve the targets determined by the SMS, and taking corrective actions in case of deviations,
- Evaluating, auditing and reviewing periodically and systematically, and continuously improving the suitability and effectiveness of the SMS,
- Abiding by national and international laws, legislations, regulations and standards,
- Investigating the non-compliances, if any, with the policy and taking necessary actions to eliminate the non-compliances and thus, preventing major accidents so as to ensure the health and safety of employees, contractors, visitors and neighbours, protect the environment.